[mythtv-users] hulu / youtube cpu requirements

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:17:50 UTC 2009

> I have an AMD 3200 which is 2Ghz.  I can play those streams, but I can't
> play them full screen.  I have a 1080p monitor, and flash must not do very
> efficient scaling either.  So I find that 2Ghz is enough to decode the
> stream, but resizing it to anything over 500 pixels high puts even my system
> over the top and the stream is choppy enough that I can't watch it.

This is often an issue with the crappy implementation of Flash in
Linux than with raw CPU power. I couldn't full screen Flash from a
browser on my current system which is more than powerful enough. But
Hulu desktop seems to be fine. I think it uses like a borderless
windows versus a true full screen. Google full screen Flash in linux
and you will see that there are lots of problems, and the generally
aren't a CPU limitation.