[mythtv-users] .22RC Moving the art directories?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:11:45 UTC 2009

> I didn't use storage groups as I was migrating an existing setup and all the
> MythVideo stuff is mounted over the network via NFS. I wasn't sure how the
> system would behave with that setup. I also have them in a directory tree I
> like, but I've been working on using metadata so I can have more options for
> display, sorting, etc.. For WAF, I need to move things somewhat slowly to
> make the transition.
>
> Can storage groups work with an existing library like this? I don't want to
> move the files to a local disk, I have a nice file server I store all this
> on. There's also the fact that they don't work with ISO files, but I don't
> have many of those and I don't mind converting them to MKV files.

The list owner has asked that we always bottom post, to keep things
organized. Storage groups will work fine in that setup. You just
define the Storage Groups on your backend, then you don't need to do
any NFS mounts on the frontends, they will stream with the mythtv
protocol from the backend. I guess I would be curious if you have a
NAS and you are mounting that on the backend, and then streaming to
the frontends, will the data go accross the network twice (once to the
backend and then again to the frontend) or will the frontend be able
to stream directly from the NAS?

I just tried out a really simple program called MakeMKV. It just takes
the ISO and remuxes the video, audio, and subtitles into an MKV
without reencoding anything. It was quick and simple and worked really
well.