[mythtv-users] nVidia ION motherboards - Single- or Dual-Core?

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:42:06 UTC 2009

I have the single core with PXE boot and see no issues.  The system has 4G
of RAM installed and plays recordings from a HD-PVR with no issues.  I am
using blootubelite-wide as the theme (wife picked it).   I run gentoo on it,
so it was a slow build process to get everything installed.

Mike

I also have a single core, 4G, PXE boot on Gentoo. My backend on the other
hand is still a 64 bit processor so I compile in a chroot environment and
have distcc setup so the Atom can help during the build process. Build takes
less time.

The only problem I have had with the IONITX-C that I have is an audio glitch
that presents itself every few mins. You get a pause in the audio as it
skips a second to keep up with the video playback, which is being done via
VDPAU. No other renderer has this issue. Others reported that this went away
with the 190+ nvidia-drivers so I upgraded and it did go away, kinda, or I
just never noticed the following prior to the upgrade.
The first time X starts up and MythFrontend launches I don't have any
issues. If the frontend crashed or hung, requiring me to kill, if I relaunch
the frontend any video playback done using VDPAU gets the pauses every few
mins again. I found out that if I restart X before restarting the frontend
then the audio does not glitch.

So to resolve, I setup my X startup script to not sleep at the end after
launching myth, but to stay running. If myth crashes now for any reason X
will shutdown and restart which will rerun the script and relaunch the
frontend.

MarcT