[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Steve Aldred aldred6 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 01:04:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Setting your screen to 1080i, means your mythfront will be upscaling
> whenever you watch SD content, then your TV downscales to fit in its
> screen.

I agree, scaling twice is going to give a slighty worse picture.

> Second, you're in Australia, it's 50Hz, there's no broadcast of 720p
> nor 480 lines content.

Not quite true as ABC HD is 720P. SBS HD is 576P and everything else is 576i
or 1080i. I gather that often the 1080i channels are often only broadcasting
576i anyway. My 720p TV is to dumb to tell me but salesmen and people with
better screens than mine tell me its true.

> If you want simplicity and not have to worry about anything, configure
> your PC to output 720p. The TV will handle everything the way it
> should with minimal loss of information/quality.

I'd say try that and the other possible ways you could configure it and
playback the same set of test programs for each ensuring you have a variety
of actual broadcast resolutions. Choose the one that overall looks best
otherwise some channels are gonna really bug you.

Pick some samples with good detail like hair, beards, trees and some motion
too.