[mythtv-users] Setting recording profile with Mythweb and mythbackend, only

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 20 22:14:55 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 04:08 PM, Christian G. von Busse wrote:
> Currently, I am looking for a VDR, only, and have setup mythtv backend and
> mythweb, only. This works so far. However, I can't get transcoding to
> work. Whenever I click on the transcode button, I get the message that
> transcoding has failed with error 255 and the message "Please ensure that
> recording profiles for the transcoder are set" in the log.
>
> I have googled around and found that normally saving the transcoder
> settings in mythtv frontend should work. However... I have not frontend
> installed, as currently I'm quite happy with the possibilities offered by
> mythweb. Is there any way to create/save a transcoder profile without
> installing myth frontend for this purpose?

mythfrontend takes an extra 100MB of hard drive space at most (and
that's probably a /hugely/ conservative estimate).  Your Myth box
processes multi-gigabyte, so do you really have any reason to save that
100MB?

Once installed, you do /not/ need to run mythfrontend all the time--just
run it when you want to use the settings portion.

Mike