[mythtv-users] Deciding whether to go with storage groups for videos or not with .22

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:35:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> says:
>> > Are the storage groups necessary for all of the new
>> > metadata/artwork features added in .22?
>>
>> No, there are local setting for all artwork directories in the
>> traditional spot (Utilties/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video
>> Settings->General)
>
> While I have its author on the line, I have a question about a portion
> of <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide>:
>
>    3. On the frontends, go to Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media
>    Settings->Video Settings->General. Change "Directories that hold
>    videos" to point at a directory that is *not the same* as the one
>    the Storage Group points at. *IMPORTANT!* If the local video
>    setting and the Storage Group setting point at the same path,
>    MythVideo will prefer the Storage Group path.
>
> Why is it *important* (based on the markup used on the words) for the
> two settings to not be the same, and doing so is important, why does
> the guide then go on in the next sentence to talk about how it works
> if the settings are not set the same way?

I have been meaning to reword that a little-- the "IMPORTANT" is an
artifact from the previous warning where the two being the same
directory resulted in duplicate entries.  I removed that warning once
I fixed the bug, but you are right that the text could use some
massaging to divorce one fact from the other. (IMHO having two
directories is still a good idea, it's just no longer required)

Robert