[mythtv-users] Recordings record wrong channel

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 20 15:08:39 UTC 2009

>> >    Is there any way to rescan a single channel?  It's a major PITA to
>> >    rescan all of them.  For each rescan, I have to reenter the XMLTV IDs
>> >    and channel icon paths for each channel.  And then repeat for all
>> >    four tuners.  This can take several hours.
>> >
>> >    It seems broken to me that MythTV would tune Live TV and recording
>> >    channels differently.  Why would anyone want that?
> Because quick tune, though less reliable, is quicker, which is important
> enough to many users during interactive LiveTV and where tuning issues
> will be immediately detected by the user holding the remote/keyboard.
>
> However, because recordings are more important than LiveTV, they're
> tuned the most reliable way.  However, the reliable way is not
> necessarily reliable if your broadcaster/rebroadcaster changes the way
> they're sending channels such that you need to rescan.
>
> You can always change the way you're using Quick Tune.  I have mine set
> to never use it.
>
> However, the/real/  question is, "Why would anyone want LiveTV?"  (Which
> probably explains why I have mine set to never use Quick Tune.)
>
> Mike

I only use LiveTV for testing my tuners, which is why it seems broken to
me that LiveTV tunes differently than recordings.  Made my tests using
LiveTV result in a false positive.

Rather than turn on quick tuning for recordings, which I feared might
break something else, I decided to rescan.  I discovered that there is a
way to rescan only the affected channel, which saved me a lot of time,
making the rescan option palatable.  I knew there was an option for full
scan and minimal updates, but there is also one for rescan selected
transport stream (or something to that effect), which is the one I used.
  I think this problem is resolved now.

Jay