[mythtv-users] Power efficient backend-only server

Vitani vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com
Tue Oct 20 11:17:48 UTC 2009

Good morning all,

I currently have an old desktop PC running Mythbuntu (backend-only), using a
Nova-T 500, but it's big, loud, and relatively expensive to run. I was
thinking about getting a mini-itx motherboard (or smaller!), which used a
laptop hard drive, all in a nice small case, and pair that with a
Linux-based* commercial NAS (so should the MythBox die I can still access my
other media). That's the plan, but I'm not sure how much processing power a
backend-only system would need. There seems to be a lot of articles on the
Wiki about hardware, but most are out of date (they talk about version 20),
and/or focus on front-ends or both-end set-ups.

I had a look on the PVR Hardware Database and only one entry really seemed
to fit what I was looking for -
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-view_pvrent.php?systemid=Myth%20BackEnd%20Only-
but that set-up used a 2GHz Pentium 4, which I obviously would not be
able
to run on my planned system.

So my question is, has anyone created a backend-only MythTV system using a
small, power efficient computer, and if so, what components did you use, and
how well does it run?

PS. If anyone knows of any commercial NASs which do run Linux, could you let
me know, as I've not found one yet.

* the NAS doesn't have to run Linux, but I'd like to be able to set up
symbolic links from the NAS to the MythBox in order to access the recordings
directly over Samba.