[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 11:13:25 UTC 2009

David Knight wrote:

>    I'm running a Panasonic Viera 42PX80B (native resolution of 1368x768).
>I've set my X config to output in 1080p which is then downscaled by the
>TV.

Hmm, the more I'm finding out about this HD stuff (and HDMI), the
less impressed I'm getting. Unless I'm missing something, the
'standards' result in you playing a DVD (for example) and the DVD
player images the video at (say) 1366x768. Your TV then takes this
image and re-scales it to introduce overscan - even though it's panel
has a native resolution of 1366x768.

It would seem logical (to me at least) that if the TV was
overscanning by (say) 50 pixels all round, it should supply 1466x868
as a supported resolution, so the source could image the video at the
right size to start with and the TV could just chop a bit off. I
can't see how re-sampling an image is going to result in something
better than one imaged at the right size to start with !

And since I'm trying to buy a 26" TV specifically to use as a monitor
(it's for my mother whose eyesight isn't what it was), I'm finding it
incredibly annoying that the manufacturers give no information at all
on what resolutions are supported - 1280x768 on a 1366x768 panel
looks horrible.

--
Simon Hobson