[mythtv-users] 0.22RC1 report

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 23:55:47 UTC 2009

> Hello List,
>
> I spent my lazy Sunday afternoon upgrading from 0.21 to 0.22RC1, thought I'd
> write up a quick review.
>
> All-in-all, it was a success, and I'm happy.
>
> I was mostly on Slackware 13 (except for a few packages like qt4 and
> mysql51).  I updated qt to 4.5, but left mysql50 because I was not having
> any problems.
>
> I guess you could say I was running slackware 12.9999.  Anyway, downloaded
> myth source and compiled.  I got an error because libpng was not found
> (./configure didnt notice or report it).  Did a 'slackpgk install libpng'
> and then it compiled ok.
>
> Tried to run mythtv-setup and got error: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
>
> After much searching and looking figured out it was because the slackware
> qt4 package was compiled with libmysqlclient 16.  So I had to upgrade to
> mysql 5.1.  Which of course was very painful.  trying to start mysql and it
> said mysql.plug was not found (or something like that) and I should run
> mysql_upgrade.  But when I ran mysql_upgrade it couldnt connect to the
> database. (K, at this point I was getting pissed... are you f'n kidding me?!
>  I cant run server till I run mysql_upgrade, buy mysql_upgrade requires the
> server?!  The more I've used mysql, the less I like it.).
>
> I blew away the mysql db (/var/lib/mysql/mysql) and did mysql_install_db,
> created users, and then I could start the server.  Then I ran mysql_update
> and it started chewing on mythconverg database... and then spewed a bunch of
> errors saying it could not upgrade a table and I'd have to dump/restore it.
>  Well damn it.
>
> I blew away everything (rm -rf /var/lib/mysql), and did an mysql_install_db
> (again), and created users (again), and restored my backup.  (Yes, I had
> done a mysql backup before even starting.)
>
> And that made qt happy.
>
> mythtv-setup got a little further then died complaining about the theme.  I
> dont recall the error, but it was an old theme.  I have been a mythtv user
> since 0.18, so I have collected lots of crap over the last 5 or so years.  I
> blew away /usr/local/share/myth and then did a re-install from the source
> (make install).  That made it happy and mythtv-setup ran ok.
>
> mythfrontend ran ok as well.
>
> I have an AMD Dual Core Processor 5050e, kernel 2.6.29.6.
> My cpu usage seems close to what it was on 0.21.  (One cpu uses about 20%
> during playback).  I have on board GeForce 7050 PV using hdmi out to the tv.
>  My display profile is setup for XvMC.  All is smooth and pretty.  (This is
> SD not HD)
>

> I do have a few problems though:
>
> !) The new default theme is pretty, but the sideways thing is just weird.  I
> switched it to the MythCenter theme and I like it better.  I think its also
> prettier. (I guess thats not really a problem, huh.)
>
> 2) I cannot figure out how to delete a recorded show.  (Sure, its D on the
> [...]

I had always all my frontends and backends on Slackware.  I decided to
replace motherboard with an VDPAU-motherboard last weekend and to use
a chance to upgrade mythtv to trunk.

I heard a lot about Mythbuntu and decided to try it. After three lost
days and many many hours ... I am again running Slackware with self
compiled trunk. It is nice to use "apt-get upgrade" and to have
updates almost every day in precompiled packages, but Mythbuntu did
not work for me at all.

I am always upgrading Slackware manually and with slapt-get and I
never had problems with it. Just be careful to upgrade first sed,
pkgtools and glibc-solibs.

Myhtbuntu was doing a lot of "invisible" things which I could not
explain without further deeper search and I did not want to do that.
There was always a process which was running "dd" in combination with
klogd and doing something :). Mythfrontend was also always doing
something (10% cpu) although nothing was in logs and I did not even
use it. And I hated that I had to change everything in the
configuration to make it work. I was not able to use user "mythtv" for
frontend because it was used for backend and all my nice useful
scripts and user jobs were in /home/mythtv :( ... and so on...

Mythbuntu is probably great but not for an old Slackware user. And by
the way, it took me 20 minutes to install fulldvd slackware and one
more hour to compile mythtv and plugins, mplayer with vdpau, lirc from
cvs... Still love it :).