[mythtv-users] Need new Capture card...

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:29:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Devin Heitmueller
> <devin.heitmueller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So it looks like currently there isn't a card that does both QAM and
>>> Analog... but the HVR-2250 is close just missing driver support for the
>>> Analog, correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> There are plenty of cards nowadays that have support for both analog
>> and QAM.  Have you seen the following web pages:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCI_Cards
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCIe_Cards
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices
>>
>> (we even separated out into columns which features are supported, e.g.
>> QAM, ATSC, analog)
>>

> I think the problem is the need for hardware mpeg2 analog.

Ah.  Well, in most cases for boards that support the MPEG encoder it's
actually easier to get the MPEG encoder working than the raw capture.
Hence, if you look at which products in the PCI/PCIe category have an
MPEG encoder, if analog claims to be supported it's probably through
the MPEG encoder rather than raw capture.  The vast majority of the
USB capture devices are raw analog only (one notable exception is the
HVR-1950).

I've been thinking for a while about breaking that table out to such
that MPEG encoded analog is separate from raw analog.  Just never got
around to it.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller