[mythtv-users] [MYS] Re: does scte65scan output need to be merged ?

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Mon Oct 19 18:22:14 UTC 2009

Hi Marc,

RE:
Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:32:32PM -0700, JS Boyd wrote:
>
>> The way I got around this was in 2 steps. First set the visible database
>>  field in the channel table to 0 on all the channels that no longer
>> exist.
>>
>> You can also do this the via the
>> "Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV_Settings->Recording_Priorities->Set_Channel_Recording_Priorities"
>> menu entry. You can select channels from the list and then just uncheck the
>> [X]Visible box on the channels you don't want to be visible to MythTV.
>>
>> Then edit the schedules Direct channel list, so the data for those
>> channels no longer downloads. That should do that what you want.
>>

> That's useful to know, thank you.
>
> Now I am left with this:
>
>>> Problem #2:
>>> How can I manually add channels that hdhomerun/mythtv does not thing I have
>>> without doing a full rescan/remap/rename in mythtv-setup?
>>> For instance, I scanned my QAM channels by hand on my QAM capable TV, and
>>> it
>>> gets 86.9, but mythfrontend doesn't have any such channel to tune. What
>>> gives? (similarly, it won't let me tune 85.13 (SciFi argh Syfy). I suppose
>>> the channels weren't there when I last did a full scan in May, I'm just
>>> kind of scared of doing a mythtv-setup full scan and wipe the channel
>>> mappings I hand entered.
>>>

> What's the story on this, do I really need to do a full rescan for channels
> that are now missing, losing all the mappings I made by hand?

I've found that non-destructive rescans (Minimal Updates in Channel scan
in Mythtv-setup) will fix most issues. You'll still have to do some
channel number, channel name and xmltvid editing, but the HDHomerun will
find most everything. At least mine does.

>>> Question #3:
>>> If I manually fix channels in the channels DB, do I really need to do it
>>> twice, once for each of my 2 hdhomerun tuners?
>>>

> What did you have to do? Do you really need to do everything twice for an
> hdhomrrun?

No, just once as the channels you scan should be assigned to a specific
"Video Source", so as long as you are using the same Video Source for
both HDHomerun tuners you only have to make changes once. This would not
be true if you were using one tuner for over-the-air broadcasts and the
other for clearQAM, but few people appear to be doing that.

In my case, I'm using clearQAM on both HDHomerun tuners.
>>> Question #4:
>>> Is my answer just to effectively delete all my hdhomerun channels in the
>>> channelsdb and somehow refeed them through scte65scan's output?
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan
>>> (does that output just take care of fixing channel to xmlid mappings, or
>>> does it actually recreate the channels if I remove them all?)
>>> Does scte65scan even include all my channels or just the ones it knows
>>> about (which would mean that deleting all my data does not guarantee I'll
>>> get it
>>> all repopulated properly)
>>>

> That's my biggest unknown: what should I do here?

I did my HDHomerun programming before scte65scan was available. I have
used it's reports to see where things have moved or where Comcast says
they've put channels. (They repeat channels in undocumented places, so
you are better off using the major,minor numbers of the ones listed by
scte65scan.)

I think scte65scan is better used for initial installs than as a tool
revise existing configurations. I noticed that the SQL produced
conflicted with what already existed and was working, so I just used the
report it generated to tweak my existing set up.

But if you are willing to erase and rescan with scte65scan, it will
probably be easier to follow Comcast changes real->virtual channel
lineups in the future. Since then you could just re-run scte65scan.

> Marc

S.

--
==