[mythtv-users] Need new Capture card...

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Oct 19 15:40:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 08:34:14AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 19 October 2009 08:10:04 jedi wrote:

> > > Basic cable channels are still unencrypted analog. It was over the air
> > > analog broadcast that was discontinued.
> >
> > ...even for that use case, an HD-PVR is not a bad option. It has the
> > necessary inputs and what you will end up with is nicely compressed
> > and can be played back on pretty meagre hardware. Plus you would be
> > ready for HD. You could eventually record those same channels off of
> > the component inputs later (HD or SD).
>
> Generally h264 (what the HD-PVR produces) requires more CPU horsepower to play
> back than MEPG2, especially at the highest bitrate of the HD-PVR.
>
> By "Meagre hardware", do you mean VDPAU? Or perhaps one of the "other"
> decoding slutions (Broadcom)?

    By meagre hardware I mean an AppleTV or a slower lowend desktop machine
with an nv6150 or even an i945.

    If HD isn't a part of the equation, then h264 isn't necessarily a deal
breaker.

    Grab a DVD, transcode it to h264 with high quality options and see how
your hardware handles it. If your gear can handle ATSC in HD, it can probably
handle h264 in SD.