[mythtv-users] Better playback..... Athlon 2800+ or Pentium 4?

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Mon Oct 19 12:07:48 UTC 2009

I am currently in the throws of replacing my aging Pentium 3 1Ghz Myth
backend so I can use SATA drives. I have just inherited an Intel Pentium 4
3.0Ghz Mbd/CPU with 1Gb ram (533Mhz) after a recent upgrade of a family
members PC.

My current frontend is an AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton with 1Gb ram.

To play HD efficiently now I have a plasma, would it be better to put the P4
on the frontend and move the AMD to server duties or the other way round.
Whatever the case, I will be upgrading the video card to a 512mb or 1GB
9400GT.

Suggestions appreciated

Cheers
Bruce