[mythtv-users] NVIDIA boards with built-in audio

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Oct 19 06:01:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 11:00 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/10/19 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
>
> > Cool, as I understand it from the nVidia readme file, the gt 220 and
> > g210 have support for "c" level vdpau support, including the ability
> > to use vdpau for more codecs (notably xvid and friends)
>
> That would be my next card if it comes with a passive heatsink

My card currently has passive cooling.

I had to add a fan in my case, expelling hot air from the card's region.

Otherwise, as the case is cramped, there was not enough ventilation
around it. The heat would transfer to the motherboard and to the CPU
area. The CPU fan would spin up...

So the choice is between a std case fan that I can choose (based on
noise level) and easily replace or a card fan that I cannot replace but
may have to deal with a small thermal envelope and that may come with
proper speed control.

I'm not sure that I have reached a decision on that.

Nico