[mythtv-users] 0.22RC1 report

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Oct 19 00:19:16 UTC 2009

Hello List,

I spent my lazy Sunday afternoon upgrading from 0.21 to 0.22RC1, thought I'd write up a quick review.

All-in-all, it was a success, and I'm happy.

I was mostly on Slackware 13 (except for a few packages like qt4 and mysql51).  I updated qt to 4.5, but left mysql50 because I was not having any problems.

I guess you could say I was running slackware 12.9999.  Anyway, downloaded myth source and compiled.  I got an error because libpng was not found (./configure didnt notice or report it).  Did a 'slackpgk install libpng' and then it compiled ok.

Tried to run mythtv-setup and got error: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded

After much searching and looking figured out it was because the slackware qt4 package was compiled with libmysqlclient 16.  So I had to upgrade to mysql 5.1.  Which of course was very painful.  trying to start mysql and it said mysql.plug was not found (or something like that) and I should run mysql_upgrade.  But when I ran mysql_upgrade it couldnt connect to the database. (K, at this point I was getting pissed... are you f'n kidding me?!  I cant run server till I run mysql_upgrade, buy mysql_upgrade requires the server?!  The more I've used mysql, the less I like it.).

I blew away the mysql db (/var/lib/mysql/mysql) and did mysql_install_db, created users, and then I could start the server.  Then I ran mysql_update and it started chewing on mythconverg database... and then spewed a bunch of errors saying it could not upgrade a table and I'd have to dump/restore it.  Well damn it.

I blew away everything (rm -rf /var/lib/mysql), and did an mysql_install_db (again), and created users (again), and restored my backup.  (Yes, I had done a mysql backup before even starting.)

And that made qt happy.

mythtv-setup got a little further then died complaining about the theme.  I dont recall the error, but it was an old theme.  I have been a mythtv user since 0.18, so I have collected lots of crap over the last 5 or so years.  I blew away /usr/local/share/myth and then did a re-install from the source (make install).  That made it happy and mythtv-setup ran ok.

mythfrontend ran ok as well.

I have an AMD Dual Core Processor 5050e, kernel 2.6.29.6.
My cpu usage seems close to what it was on 0.21.  (One cpu uses about 20% during playback).  I have on board GeForce 7050 PV using hdmi out to the tv.  My display profile is setup for XvMC.  All is smooth and pretty.  (This is SD not HD)

I do have a few problems though:

!) The new default theme is pretty, but the sideways thing is just weird.  I switched it to the MythCenter theme and I like it better.  I think its also prettier. (I guess thats not really a problem, huh.)

2) I cannot figure out how to delete a recorded show.  (Sure, its D on the keyboard, but I dont have a keybord, I have a remote and I cannot find a "delete" in any menus.)  Am I missing it?  Is it in a menu (if not, can it be put back)?  Is D the only way?

3) I have never been able to use the OSD while watching LiveTV.  It was super slow.  But now it seems to work.  I like it, but I cannot figure out how to actually choose something different to watch.  (you know, select something, have the channel change and the OSD go away).  Any hints?  Remember, I have a remote, not a keyboard.

So, I give 0.22 an A.  Still lots of new things for me to learn and play with, but the "core" functionality is all good.  (Except deleting a recorded show, I cant do that yet... that's why it does not get an A+).

Mysql, however, gets an F.  (F for F***ing pissed me off) :-)

Thanks much to everyone working on Myth TV!

-Andy