[mythtv-users] Need new Capture card...

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 13:52:24 UTC 2009

> I'm looking to upgrade my capture card and wanted to get a consensus on
what
> people are using. I'm looking for something that will do both HD and
non-HD
> using either over the air or cable.
>
> We currently get our local HD through our cable provider but if they stop
> transmitting then over the air for HD would be necessary.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Before you do this I would think about encryption. Comcast in my area
encrypts all but 8 channels so my kworld 115 card does not get much
use. Good thing that they still broadcast around 50 channels in
analog. There are three ways around encryption and firewire,HD-PVR and
SD analog capture using an analog device like a hauppage PVR150.

John

One thing you can do before you decide is see what they are broadcasting in
the clear.
This site http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels you select your
country, only 5 choices atm, and enter your postal code. They will tell you
exactly how many channels you can get over the air or over cable.

I have 3 AirStar HD-5000's that can get all the major local channels and
standard def basic cable since they added those to Clear QAM. But pretty
much all the other true HD channels are scrambled. My next capture is going
to be an HD-PVR when I can afford it. I have a lot to do around the house
before I can justify that thou.

MarcT