[mythtv-users] HVR-4000 causes mythbackend to exit because "Device or resource busy"

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Sun Oct 18 13:04:49 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I recently started trying out MythTV 0.22 RC1, and installed a new
HVR-4000 alongside an existing Nova-T 500 in preparation for Freesat
being installed later this week, but I'm having lots of problems with
the new card.

I'm running Mythbuntu 9.04, using Jean-Yves' Ubuntu packages for 0.22.

Firstly, I'm sorted out the Firmware issues (as described on the Linux
TV Wiki here: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
)
I've also gone through and made sure that the DVB devices always have
the same device numbers by using the following in /etc/modprobe.d/
dvb.conf:

options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=5,6
options cx88_dvb adapter_nr=7,8

The above has worked fine and the correct tuner shows up under the
correct device. The problem I have is that Mythbackend dies soon after
starting, with the logs saying:

DVBChan(6:/dev/dvb/adapter7/frontend1) Warning: Opening DVB frontend
device failed.
eno: Device or resource busy (16)
DVBChan(6:/dev/dvb/adapter7/frontend1) Error: Failed to open DVB
frontend device due to fatal error or too many attempts.

/dev/dvb/adapter7/frontend1 is the DVB-S tuner on the HVR-4000 card.

Now, lsof and fuser don't indicate that anything is using the card
(other than mythbackend), so I'm thinking it's something to do with
the firmware loading on demand? So, when I add the tuner in mythtv-
setup,  I see stuff like this in messages:

[  286.755125] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-cx24116.fw
)...
[  286.755133] i2c-adapter i2c-1: firmware: requesting dvb-fe-cx24116.fw
[  286.760479] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload
(2)...
[  292.085511] cx24116_load_firmware: FW version 1.20.79.0
[  292.085531] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Firmware upload complete

...but never when mythbackend is initialising (and presumably
accessing the tuner)

The Tuner is not bound to any Source yet, and there's no cable
attached to the "SAT" input, could that be a problem?

If I remove the DVB-S tuner in mythtv-setup, mythbackend works fine
and I can watch TV.

The other issue is that it's always using the HVR-4000's DVB-T tuner
to watch TV and not the Nova-T, despite the fact the priority of the
HV4-4000's tuner being set to -5, and the Nova-T tuners' priorities
being set to +5. I want to set it so it never uses the HVR's DVB-T
tuner unless the Nova-T's are both busy and it's not recording
anything on DVB-S. (you can't use both tuners on the card
simultaneously AFAIK). Have I misunderstood the Priority setting?

Ben