[mythtv-users] UI feedback in 0.22

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 23:48:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/2009 10:20 AM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>>> I did some actual timings.  Using a stopwatch, it took 9 seconds to
>>> display the Watch Recordings page.  That's 9 seconds where it appears
>>> that the machine has frozen.  According to before-and-after "ps"
>>>
>> What do you see in your frontend logs and backend logs during that time?
>>
>> Do you see it loading/regenerating preview images? Maybe for some reason it's regenerating all of the previews locally rather than grabbing what is available on the backend?
>
> For example because of mismatched clocks on your frontend/backend
> machines or because you're using an NFS-mounted HOME directory (meaning
> $HOME/.mythtv is remote) that was mounted with actimeo=0 or noac?

Problem solved.  To improve WAF, I had written a frontend watcher
script which tries to restart the frontend if it finds it not running
(i.e., crashed).  The script was launched from rc.local using the
command:
    su -c '/home/mythtv/bin/watch_frontend.sh &' mythtv
The "su" command needs to be run with "-l", otherwise $HOME is
certainly wrong, and likely inaccessible.

This also fixed my problem where the Mythbuntu and some other themes
would delay 1-2 seconds between items on the Watch Recordings page.

Jim