[mythtv-users] Lost audio after upgrade

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 17:04:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/10/17 Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com>:
>> or alsamixer, shouldn't it work for MythTV too?
>> >
>> > In MythTV:
>> > Audio device: ALSA:default
>> > Passthrough: ALSA:plughw:1,0
>>

> Audio output device: ALSA:default
> Passthrough output device: Default
> Max Audio Channels: Stereo (MUST BE SET TO STEREO as of 6/2/2009 for
> passthrough to work)
> Upmix: Passive
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough checked
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough checked
> Aggressive sound card buffering off
>
> You might also try this for asound.conf
>
>  pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave.pcm "spdif"
>  }
>
> But you probably already tried this as it is what is in the howto
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto
>
> Allen
>
> Use internal volume controls off

All right, found the problem. I had to add the following lines to my
/etc/asound.conf file:

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

Even though I'm using passthough and have disabled internal volume
controls, Myth now nevertheless apparently tries to open the card's
control rather than just blindly outputting the PCM to the specified
device. I can't really complain, since it's a good practice to have
these lines anyway when using a non-0 card as the default. But this is
a potential "gotcha" for users upgrading from earlier revisions.