[mythtv-users] Hardware for Over the Air Digital

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Oct 15 21:07:56 UTC 2009

> All that I want to 'record' is the over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (ATSC?
> what's that stand for?). While I currently only care about a maximum of two
> feeds, it might be nice during something like the Olympics to have more
> recording capability, so something I could expand to four feeds might be
> worth looking into.

So you're going to put up an antenna? Or do you want to try to use the cable
coax you mentioned?

> I'm hesitant about the HDHomeRun simply because I don't want another box,
> but if that's clearly the best choice I am willing to reconsider. On the
> other hand, I guess with the HDHomeRun I could simply dump the streams to
> the server in the first place, so that is an option.

The HDHR is small, and it has an IR receiver so you can use a normal remote
control for the Myth machine. I haven't used any internal cards, so I can't
really compare.

> Oh, and I also am going to want to reencode the MPEG-2 streams to h.264
> (720p), though I expect to do that on the MacPro since it's a much faster
> machine. However, if anyone has any suggestions along those lines, I'm all
> ears.

Handbrake can do this on the Mac. There's also mythtranscode, but I've never
tried to do this with it.