[mythtv-users] UI feedback in 0.22

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:35:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:50 AM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been testing 0.22 on a very slow combined FE/BE machine.
>
> Just for the record, what does 'very slow' mean to you?
>
> I've been trying to find out whether I would need to upgrade my
> hardware for the 0.22 UI.
>
> I'm currently running a combined BE/FE on a Sempron 2.8GHz with 1GB
> Ram, which I find fine for watching SD.  I'm assuming that this will
> be very stretched by some of the very impressive 0.22 themes which I'm
> seeing.

This is a Zotac IONITX "C" board, i.e. a single-core 1.6GHz Atom
processor.  As a test machine, it is running everything -- frontend,
backend, and mysql server.

I did some actual timings.  Using a stopwatch, it took 9 seconds to
display the Watch Recordings page.  That's 9 seconds where it appears
that the machine has frozen.  According to before-and-after "ps"
commands, 2 seconds was for the backend and 7 seconds was for the
frontend.  When I upgrade the real master backend, this frontend will
still take at least 7 seconds to display the Recordings page.  This is
using the blue-abstract theme.

This is the only delay of its kind and magnitude that I have observed.
 Once I get into the Recordings page, it's quite snappy.  MythVideo is
also reasonable fast.

Jim