[mythtv-users] HDMI audio help --- FIXED

Michael Drons mdrons at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 17:05:12 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----
From: Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tue, October 13, 2009 5:33:13 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDMI audio help

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:52 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 07:18:59AM -0700, Michael Drons wrote:
>> mythfe tmp # aplay -L
>> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     Front speakers
>> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers null
>>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>
>   My ION 230 also outputs the following when you run aplay -L
>
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
>    HDMI Audio Output
>
>   I wonder if you have something misconfigured in the BIOS.

I know some cards had to have the bios set to on or off or something
to allow the OS to see the thing.  I think I mention that in the
HowTo.  Restart and go into the bios and see what sound options there
are.  If I remember correctly, you have to turn SPDIF off to get HDMI
to go on, or something strange and counter intuitive like that.

I don't have HDMI so am not really that much help.  I was just happy
to solve the SPDIF problem.

Allen