[mythtv-users] Disappearing video card

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Oct 14 17:03:10 UTC 2009

My myth system has 2 video cards; one for myth playback and one for a
workstation.

Last night I'm watching a movie and myth freezes solid.  Weird; system has
been up and running for a couple of months without a hitch.

I can see hard drives churning away but there is nothing on the
workstation monitor (it shows "No Signal") and myth is frozen.  So after
the drives settled down I hit the reset button, brought the system up and
still nothing on the workstation monitor. Myth works fine.

I'm really puzzled.  Logs show a bunch of kernel oopses before the lockup.
 Xorg log file shows "No screens found" for the workstation when I try to
start it.

After a while I go back to checking basics; lspci shows that the
workstation video card has disappeared.  It's completely gone.  It's still
in the box but I guess it's playing dead.

I've never seen a video card just disappear like that.  Weird.  Very
weird.  Hopefully not a mobo issue....

--
   o__

This day we ride!