[mythtv-users] Was working, now no TV lock, no video sound

Steve Aldred aldred6 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 02:39:02 UTC 2009

 On an ASRock ION 330 with a DigitalNow TinyTwin usb receiver I'm using
spdif sound under Mythbuntu 9.04.
I've used the Avenard updates as per
http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html, updated
to Nvidia 185 drivers and done the dvb_usb_af9015 update.

All was working well except with the second tuner enabled I was getting no
lock on the second tuner and noise on the first one, so I disabled it again
which left everything working well.

Without any updates I'm aware of playing videos no longer has sound. Worked
on the 12th , not the 13th October (Australia).

Similarly was working for TV but after re-enabling the second tuner (got an
aerial amplifier) it now no longer locks the signal on the first tuner even
with 95-97% signal strength. Hitting C to switch tuners did nothing but
/dev/dvb shows both adaptors again and sources etc are hooked up in setup.
Hit M and it crashes the frontend with nothing in the log.

After disabling the second tuner I'm still left with no lock on the one
tuner. After getting the amplifier I had it working fine with one tuner.
Switching back to unamplified signal has same result just with lower signal
strength so its not the amplifier screwing things up.

Still works fine for music.

So two questions:
1.  why did video sound stop?
2. how can I fix my tuner?

I can make videos play sound again by adding "-ao alsa:device=spdif" to the
default video player command via setup, but don't see why I now need to. The
general sound setup still specifies spdif as it always has done.

I'm not an idiot nor a linux or MythTV guru. If you are going to tell me to
edit file xyz, or adjust option X please say where to find it!

thanks
Steve