[mythtv-users] H'ware playback, was:Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 13 14:13:05 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 13 October 2009 07:52:52 Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> All my problematic files have these repeatable flags as confirmed by
> an mpeg analyzer.  These problematic files are both 720p and 1080i.
> None of my smoothly playing files (again, both 720p and 1080i) have
> these flags.
>
> Thats' why I'm hoping for some Myth solution where hardware handles
> the entire mpeg playback process, including decoding these repeatable
> flags and handling audio sync, and software can't screw things up.
> I was hoping VDPAU did that, but I guess it doesn't.  The BCM thing
> is my next hope.

How "powerful" does a machine have to be to deal with these files? Today's
entry level machine is yesterday's screamer.

I realize that probably few people still use PVR-350s as output devices, but I
wonder if they could handle the MPEG flags you mention.

It's a hardware playback solution, but it can only handle SD, so it's not a
solution for you even if it can handle those flags.

I guess the same question could be asked anout the Media MVPs, they probably
use the same hardware as the 350s.

I guess you have to wait and see if the B/C units can handle the files.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org