[mythtv-users] Fancontrol with replaced CPU fan

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon Oct 12 19:41:26 UTC 2009

On Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 03:21:25PM -0400, Johnny wrote:

> I have an Asus M3N78-EM and I have been using fancontrol to keep the
> fans running slowly and quietly. It basically silent when idle and
> ramps up a bit while I am using the machine but then the sound is
> mostly covered by the audio out of mythtv. My CPU fan has recently
> started making a loud annoying whine every 15 minutes or so. I thought
> it would be simple to just replace the 70mm CPU fan, but there aren't
> many available. The ones I can find all seem to use 3 pin connectors
> rather than the 4 pin connector used by the cpu fan header. It is hard
> to track them down because seraching for "4 pin" turns up all of the
> fans that use 4 pin molex connectors. Is there a specific term for the
> 4 pin connector used on the cpu header? I would rather not get a whole
> new heatsink just to replace the fan. I am also really happy with
> fancontrol and prefer it to some sort of manual undervolting switch
> etc.

I've not heard of any specific term, no - searching for "4 pin pwm"
should differentiate it from the molex connectors though.

> The chassis fan uses a 3 pin header but fancontrol is able control
> that with PWM. However, my reading indicates that plugging a 3 pin fan
> into the 4 pin header will not work. I believe it will just run full
> blast all the time and won't have any PWM control. I am interested on
> opinions about my existing options or any better ideas.

I'm surprised this works with the chassis fan - the 3 pin connectors are
power + speed feedback (not control).  I guess the motherboard allows
the voltage to be controlled, which would alter the fan speed.

> 1) Get a bigger 80mm or 90mm with a 4 pin connector and figure out
> some way to attach it to the heat sink (some have suggested 2 sided
> tape). This seems like the most likely if I can secure it in any
> acceptable way.

I'm not sure you'd get a good enough connection - I suspect the fan
would soon vibrate its way unstuck.

> 2) Control both fans with the 3 pin chassis header and a y-splitter.
> (Will this even work, RPM readings, power?)

Might work - you'll probably be overloading the motherboard though.

> 3) Get a whole new heatsink. This seems like a waste of money and
> space. I don't need things any cooler or a huge chunk of metal in my
> case.

If your cooling's good enough then this would be a waste, yes.

HTH,
    Robin

--
     ___