[mythtv-users] Fancontrol with replaced CPU fan

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:21:25 UTC 2009

I have an Asus M3N78-EM and I have been using fancontrol to keep the
fans running slowly and quietly. It basically silent when idle and
ramps up a bit while I am using the machine but then the sound is
mostly covered by the audio out of mythtv. My CPU fan has recently
started making a loud annoying whine every 15 minutes or so. I thought
it would be simple to just replace the 70mm CPU fan, but there aren't
many available. The ones I can find all seem to use 3 pin connectors
rather than the 4 pin connector used by the cpu fan header. It is hard
to track them down because seraching for "4 pin" turns up all of the
fans that use 4 pin molex connectors. Is there a specific term for the
4 pin connector used on the cpu header? I would rather not get a whole
new heatsink just to replace the fan. I am also really happy with
fancontrol and prefer it to some sort of manual undervolting switch
etc.

The chassis fan uses a 3 pin header but fancontrol is able control
that with PWM. However, my reading indicates that plugging a 3 pin fan
into the 4 pin header will not work. I believe it will just run full
blast all the time and won't have any PWM control. I am interested on
opinions about my existing options or any better ideas.

1) Get a bigger 80mm or 90mm with a 4 pin connector and figure out
some way to attach it to the heat sink (some have suggested 2 sided
tape). This seems like the most likely if I can secure it in any
acceptable way.

2) Control both fans with the 3 pin chassis header and a y-splitter.
(Will this even work, RPM readings, power?)

3) Get a whole new heatsink. This seems like a waste of money and
space. I don't need things any cooler or a huge chunk of metal in my
case.