[mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 11 22:27:05 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Vdpau API is open source, anyone (intel, ati) is free to write drivers
fir the vdpau libraries.

I'm guessing ATI and Intel will follow because of the rather good
vdpau support now. Nvidia filled a gap, so everyone were quick to use
it.

What I don't understand is why did NVIDIA make VDPAU Open source, while they keep their drivers proprietary?

What advantage does it give NVIDIA opening up VDPAU while keeping their drivers closed?

Why not just keep them both closed?

I am not complaining, I just seek to understand as on face value it makes little sense to me.