[mythtv-users] Latest Mythbuntu weekly build broke my backend

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:02:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mythbuntu 9.04 box, using the testing repos to run 0.22.
>
> Every weekend I run an upgrade via apt-get on my master BE to keep it up to
> date. This week, however, I seem to have run into issues. I updated,
> rebooted and tried a manual mythfilldatabase but received the following:
>
> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 Using configuration directory = /home/matt/.mythtv
> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 Application binary version (0.22.20090928-1) does
> not match libraries (0.22.20091008-1)
> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 This application is not compatible with the
> installed MythTV libraries. Please recompile after a make distclean
> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.092 Failed to init MythContext, exiting.
>
> Upon further review, my backend process was not running and trying to start
> it manually gave me the same error. I then tried another apt-get update /
> apt-get upgrade to see if something just didn't update that I overlooked,
> and received the following:
>
> matt at magicbe:/etc/init.d$ sudo apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master mythtv-common mythtv-database
> mythtv-transcode-utils
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
>
> I'll be the first to say that I am somewhat terrible with the joys of
> apt-get, so I was hoping somebody would know why these packages were held
> back, and what could be done about it.
>
> Here are my mythbuntu repos:
> :/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mythbuntu-repos.list:
> deb http://weeklybuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/trunk-0.22/ubuntu jaunty
> main
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu jaunty main

Uninstall all of the myth-themes as they are from an older package, once
they are all uninstalled do the upgrade over.  The mythbuntu guys stopped
packaging the themes independently a week or so ago and caused this issue on
my machine as well.  Once you get mythtv-common and the other packages
updated, your backend "should" work again.