[mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sun Oct 11 15:40:15 UTC 2009

>On Saturday 10 October 2009 23:52:58 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>  On 11/10/2009, at 12:59 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>  > It requires a lot of RAM to do well, and also a lot of code,
>>  > including a
>>  > complete OS and the proprietary video drivers, seems like a lot to
>>  > just play
>>  > back a file.
>>
>>  And which hardware accelerated stuff doesn't require an OS and drivers?
>
>By a "full" OS I was comparing standard Linux distributions to embedded
>systems thast require a lot less in terms of hardware, can run with very
>little RAM and little power. The Sigma chips are used with a lot of embedded
>systems, I'm not aware of any way to utilize VDPAU with an embedded system,
>though I'd love to hear of one.

XBMC Live :) uses a moblin built distro with vdpau capability, USB drive boot.

Nvidia's VDPAU is much, much more "open" than the API for Sigma
chipsets (what API ?). Embedding just means that someone took a
standard linux distro and stripped it down to only include parts that
they need. Nothing fancy here. The work involved is proportional to
how embedded one wants to go.

>  >
>>  Broadcom would require a full Linux and drivers obviously.

Nah, it could easily be embedded. In fact the technology already
exists in several embedded platforms. The Dish Network 722 uses a
bcm7412 chipset. Guess what's inside ?

>  > Vdpau API is open source, anyone (intel, ati) is free to write drivers
>>  fir the vdpau libraries.
>
>I thought it required the proprietary nVidia video drivers (ie: the binary
>blob) in order to use VDPAU, at least today.

So? Big deal, it uses a private binary blob around an open source
wrapper. Sigma chipsets also require proprietary drivers. The
difference is Nvidia's have usable API. Sigma does not.

All the squawking about proprietary binary blobs is a bit silly, the
alternative is zero ability to tap hardware video decode. This is the
real world we live in and not some fantasy world where everything is
free and open. It costs real money to develop these software and
hardware solutions and I don't see the open source world stepping up
to do it as real money would be required and not just the part-time
effort of volunteers.

Broadcom is taking a different path than vdpau, the driver will be
fully open and licensed GPL. This satisfies Linux kernel GPL
requirements to run un-tainted. The library that talks to the driver
will be LGPL. That's so Broadcom can use it in other closed source
projects without GPL tainting those projects. The firmware that the
library loads via the driver is proprietary closed source. To me this
is the prefect solution to the whole open source issue regarding
hardware devices.

Here's a thought, decoding h.264 requires a license with the patent
holders. That's a fact that we conveniently ignore all the time in
open source software because the patent holders will only go after
big fish that bundle and sell such software. Anytime you use ffmpeg
to play h.264 content via software, you are violating the licensing
no matter how much you might feel entitled. So you could say that use
of a lib like vdpau or crystal hd actually is more legal than using a
software based solution. You better believe that Both Nvidia and
Broadcom have licenses with the patent holders for decoding the video
formats that they support.

>  >
>>  I'm guessing ATI and Intel will follow because of the rather good
>>  vdpau support now. Nvidia filled a gap, so everyone were quick to use
>>  it.

Buzz on Intel except for maybe on their high end video cards. Google
around, Intel is partnering with Broadcom for PineTrail for low power
HD video decode capability. They have nothing in site for the short
term (next few years).