[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

William william_munson at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 14:09:53 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/11/2009 07:22 AM, William wrote:
>> Not quite true. It will only delete files to make more room if its
>> actually recording something. If not, you will run out of room. The
>> thread only runs when something is recording.
>
> It runs all the time, it only deletes when more room is needed for
> recording stuff.
>
>> This is a sucky feature of myth.
>
> IMHO, MythTV's deleting recordings when it doesn't need to delete them
> would be a sucky feature.  If you had told Myth to keep 5GB free and
> you needed to temporarily copy a 4GB file to the Myth box, do you
> /really/ want Myth to delete 4+GB of recordings before you delete the
> 4GB file?
yes, absolutely. (Files sent to the NAS will be there a while as the NAS
only contains videos. Local storage is for temp files.)  Because if it
did, I would set the free space to 1 gig assuming that the response time
to running out of space is fairly quick. A scan every 15 seconds would
be enough.  I can copy a 4 gig file in less than 1 minute. However my
typical problem occurs when downloading videos from various sources so I
only get ~1 MB/sec of writing to the drives. (The downloading software
is running on the NAS server.) In that case, a check every few minutes
would be fine. I would also be happy with an external script that would
simply scan the database and delete the oldest expirable recording and
update the database when triggered by a low space condition. I am
tempted to write one for myself, controlled by monit, just need to
figure out the complicated sql commands need to properly delete a
recording and remove all data from the database. The only unknown for me
is: Will the distro I am using allow me to save a 4 gig file to a drive
that only has 1 gig reported as free. I doubt it so I would still have
to maintain a free space greater than the largest file I would expect to
transfer (10GB).

William