[mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Oct 11 08:46:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 October 2009 16:42:59 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> 2009/10/11 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
>> > promising. VDPAU is a halfway measure towards true hardware decoding, but
>> > more is possible without the complicated driver and RAM requirements.
>>
>> What's half-way about VDPAU?
>

> It requires a lot of RAM to do well, and also a lot of code, including a
> complete OS and the proprietary video drivers, seems like a lot to just play
> back a file.
>
> Granted VDPAU has a lot of advantages, and most Myth frontends already have
> the required resources, I think there are better solutions, the B'com unit
> recently mentioned in passing here seems a better path, but that's just my
> opinion.

How is it in ANY way different than VDPAU?  Both are hardware
accelleration of video streams requiring a computer, OS, drivers,
software interface layer, etc.  In fact the broadcom one is MORE
complex, and less integrated, as it requires some sort of overlaying
to get it "out" onto the video card and to your display.

The big advantage of the BC one is that it will work in machines that
won't take a video card.