[mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Oct 11 01:59:43 UTC 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 16:42:59 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/10/11 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> > promising. VDPAU is a halfway measure towards true hardware decoding, but
> > more is possible without the complicated driver and RAM requirements.
>
> What's half-way about VDPAU?

It requires a lot of RAM to do well, and also a lot of code, including a
complete OS and the proprietary video drivers, seems like a lot to just play
back a file.

Granted VDPAU has a lot of advantages, and most Myth frontends already have
the required resources, I think there are better solutions, the B'com unit
recently mentioned in passing here seems a better path, but that's just my
opinion.

Funny that a VDPAU-capable video card and the Broadcom device seemingly
available through E-Bay seem to be about the same price, so we really can't
argue cost.

Open source fans will like totally open drivers for hardware decoders, thus
eliminating the need for the nVidia binary blob.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org