[mythtv-users] Myth on WD HDTV Media Player for $99

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 10 15:16:47 UTC 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 08:47:34 Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Wow.  I hadn't heard of Myka before but looks nice.  Still uses a fan
> unfortunately but I can live with that.

The fan makes absolutely no noise at all, mainly because it failed soon after
I put the unit into service :-)

I replaced it with a better quality fan, of course.

But the Myka is certainly an interesting device. As configured from the
factory it's very useful, it's a UPnP renderer/control point. It can also see
any NFS or Windows shares directly. I can play anything I have, no matter
where or how it's stored, using little power and taking up little space.

It runs Linux, and is quite hackable, Myka encourages development and has an
SDK available. It uses a standard 3.5" HDD, and the USB ports (both host and
client) make it extensible in the extreme.

Sooner or later it should be able to run a Myth F/E, I hope.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org