[mythtv-users] Strange HD-PVR/DISH incompatibility in AC-3 mode

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 9 16:28:36 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 10:17:27 Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM, David Herman <dherman516 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How did you disable that shutdown/download? I have a VIP722 and I have
> > been
> >
> >> able to change the time of the update, but not stop it from happening.
> >>
> >> It leaves me in a "press select to continue" state, so I send a select
> >> code
> >> before any channel change request.
> >>
> >> I'd like to stop the update, mainly because I don't trust
> >> Dish's "improvements" to not hose me over.
> >
> > It is buried under the settings menu
>
> In the past, I scoured the menus of the VIP211 and never managed to
> find such an option.  If you get a chance, I would love to know
> precisely where it is.

So would I, I have looked and looked, and never found any such setting. DISH
told me it was not possible to disable it, only to change the time, though
I'm not sure about that data, the CSR I spoke with didn't seem to really
understand what I was talking about. She kept telling me to make sure I was
connected to a telco line, which didn't seem relevant to me.

But I notice the OP has a 211, my 722 may be different.

> By the way, I prefix my channel change commend with both "Down" and
> "Select" codes (in that order).  If you accidentally tune to an
> unsubscribed channel, the receiver is left in a state where it will
> only respond to Up or Down, and not Select or a channel number.

Good suggestion. I have never had a channel change failure. I'm using an old
MyBlaster, which seems to emit enough IR power to change channels in another
room easily. I can't recall I ever tried to tune an unsubscribed channel, but
your solution seems like good insurance.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org