[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Video Acceleration Question (h.264)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 8 18:44:46 UTC 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Scott D. Davilla wrote:

>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Scott D. Davilla <<mailto:davilla at 4pi.com
>> >davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>>

>> Before anyone asks, no, you can't try/test this, the driver/libs
>> required are not public yet. And that's what we are working toward,
>> the process is slow as there is another player involved besides
>> myself and Jarod. And no we can't mention the other player right
>> now but it should be obvious.
>>

>> Any thoughts on a timeline, even rough? 6mo? 1year? I'd be
>> interested in a solution using this stuff. An ATV with the HD
>> decoder would be an awesome frontend.
>
> Hard to estimate, we thought it would be public by now :) The wheels
> turn slow when legalities are involved. Maybe a few more weeks,
> maybe a month.
>
> Remember, this is would be public appearance of the driver/lib.
> Integration into a player would depend on the player developers and
> their time line.
>
> I'm point lead dev for XBMC (osx/linux/windows) integration and of
> course would be more than willing to assist other app devs in
> integration details to share what has been learned about working
> with this device. I'm also the one doing the driver port to an OSX
> kext.

I've got about 250 lines of code added to mythtv in my local tree,
which is more or less just a shell of support for the card. None of
the actual functionality is wired up yet though, haven't had a whole
lot of time for it of late. The driver does work with a basic test app
and a gstreamer plugin (mostly), all the way back on kernel 2.6.18
(Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5) and all the way up to 2.6.31 (Fedora 12),
x86 and x86_64 alike. (Support for newer kernels and 64-bit
cleanliness were the major things I've worked on extensively to date).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com