[mythtv-users] Nvidia 8400GS SPDIF/HDMI pass through.. how?

Roy Lofthouse lofty69 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:31:08 UTC 2009

I've been pulling my hair out at this for two days now, but I can't
seem to get my nvidia 8400GS to play sound via the HDMI.

I've connected the cable that comes with it from the onboard SPDIF
header to the SPDIF (in) of the nv card, but I can't seem to get the
thing working..

Maybe someone who has experience of this can help me out a bit?? :)

Once the cable is connected I presume I should just set my sound to
play through the SPDIF connection?

aplay -l shows the following:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC880 Digital [ALC880 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and I then run:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.2 <file> to try and test this, but
nothing happens.. (no errors initially when running this)

Should I be seeing another device?  I would have thought that the
cable just passes the audio to the card and using the digital device
would just work?

I've upgraded alsa to 0.21 but it's still the same.

I've now been messing about so much that I'm starting to get the
following when running the above mplayer command.

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1325:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
/dev/snd/pcmC0D2p failed: No such file or directory

Would appreciate any help