[mythtv-users] OT: DIY Antennas in the attic, is a ground necessary?

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:00:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Tom Flair <tom at graniteskies.net> wrote:

> I've had a few issues recently with my OTA recordings from my HD Homerun
> showing some distortion and breaking up entirely on a few stations.  Since
> I've recently moved from an apartment to a house, I thought it might be a
> good idea to upgrade my cheap, powered antenna with a DIY antenna.  (
> http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/01/maker_workshop_dtv_antenna_steadyca.htmlis the guide I followed)    I'm hoping this will cure the signal issues.

You may want to have a look at another DIY antenna for this application. The
Gray Hoverman antennas which were recently updated for the OTA DTV changes
on digitalhome.ca are extremely good anntennas. See
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/

The digitalhome.ca site also has many other DIY antenna designs.

If you do decide to build a GH variant, the things to keep in mind are that
there are many versions adnthat you should select 1 that will fit in your
attic and the through the attic door.

Dennis

--
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist (1939 – 2005)