[mythtv-users] > 1TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 01:34:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Bobby Gill <brownitus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to note, I do recall an extensive Google study resulting in no
> noticeable difference in reliability across temperature bands, someone can
> correct me if I'm off on the details.

That google study in interesting because a lot of the media did summarize it
that way.  But in reading the study myself I came to a different conclusion

   1. Keep in mind is the study was based on a corporate datacenter not
   users running an HTPC at home.  This means temperature controlled
   datacenters & frequent hardware replacement.  For instance, the summary
   refers to more frequent failures in "older" drives.  the chart shows the
   trend increasing at 3 years.  While that's probably old to them, it's not to
   me :)
   2. The study does show that what google calls "high end" temps (>=40C)
   contribute to more frequent failures after 3 years.  From the study "What
   stands out are the 3 and 4-year old drives, where the trend for higher
   failures with higher temperature is much more constant and also more
   pronounced".  I'm ashamed to admit that my master backed drives were hitting
   55-60 for awhile there, which is way off of their chart (stops at >45)

Just my 2 cents.  I encourage others to read the study (the temp part is
only a few pages) and draw thier own conclusions
Always enjoy reading the latest on the hard drive topic as you can never how
too much storage!

Dave

Here's the link to the study:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Flabs.google.com%2Fpapers%2Fdisk_failures.pdf&ei=1NTHSqviD8yh8Ab9yIy8CA&usg=AFQjCNGQnQZT4n9wJDyYMmOnmVqfnx1udw&sig2=zRWuG-C3zp-4jhkvtGHKFw