[mythtv-users] > 1TB Hard Drive Recommendations

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 20:55:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> WD 2.0GB green. I was surprised that although it does spin the disks
> at ~5900 it is not noticeably slower than the other 5 Seagate 7200.8,
> 7200.10 and 7200.11 drives that are currently in  my mythbox. It also
> uses less power than any of the other drives I have except for the
> SSD. I got mine for around $165 new in June at ebay.
>
> John

I have the 1.5TB Green drives, I'm quite happy with them, don't need
anything too fast, they are just data drives, not system, and they use
less power and run cooler then the seagate drives I had before.  I
have heard issues with using them in RAID or certain controllers,
disabling something, but what that something is escapes me.  I think
it was adjusting a setting having to do with retries or timeouts,
cause otherwise the controller would mark it as offline when it
wasn't.  I haven't had any issues with them, currently have 6 of them
in RAID5 for a number of months.