[mythtv-users] Transcoding/cutting down file size

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Oct 2 18:48:10 UTC 2009

On 10/2/2009 13:28, Bobby Gill wrote:
> (Sparked from the "state of lossless H.264 cutting" thread)
>
> So just to clarify (considering going HD by end of year), there is no
> "built-in" means of transcoding a, say, 60min ep[43 mins cut down]
> into a ~1.1gb file as one would find shows via torrent? (Just an
> example, please don't flog me for merely bringing it up).
You can lossily transcode h264, but using the built-in means, you would
end up with an asp stream in a nupplevideo container, which at 3.5mbps
for HD would look pretty poor, or mjpeg in nupplevideo which would look
far worse.  There is no lossless way to clip out the commercials from
h264 without transcoding, as there is with mpeg2, and even if there
were, you will still have the original 9-12Mbps source for a 3-4GB file.