No subject

Tue Nov 17 13:52:17 UTC 2009

tiny 32M cache won't help you much. Random I/O is what will kill you here,
the DB and seeking for the various streams plus the OS tends to overwhelm
even the nice 2TB drives. A Velociraptor would probably be able to keep up,
but at that point you can save money by using a separate OS drive. SDD will
work great, but is probably overkill. An old 40G PATA drive was plenty for
the OS/DB drive for me.  Another option is RAID if you really don't want
a separate drive. Certainly not any cheaper though.

--0016367b6b360a44ee047ea09834

PARKER <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.parker at st.com">micha=
 style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
2) Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage would a separate 80GB OS disk g=
ive over a partitioned<br>
2TB disk? At 3Gb/s and with 32MB of disk cache, I&#39;m assuming the usual =
advantage of idependent drive<br>
accesses is no longer significant. Another disk is possible in the case, bu=
t I&#39;m keen not to<br>
increase power consumption and noise further. I did think a solid state dis=
k for the OS would be<br>
nice, provided frequently accessed stuff, swap etc. was put on the 2TB.<br>=
 think your HDD can stream 3Gb/s do you? It can&#39;t. From the cache, sure=
, but you&#39;re dealing with very large files here and the tiny 32M cache =
won&#39;t help you much. Random I/O is what will kill you here, the DB and =
seeking for the various streams plus the OS tends to overwhelm even the nic=
e 2TB drives. A Velociraptor would probably be able to keep up, but at that=
 point you can save money by using a=A0separate=A0OS drive. SDD will work g=
reat, but is probably overkill. An old 40G PATA drive was plenty for the OS=
/DB drive for me.=A0=A0Another option is RAID if you really don&#39;t want =
a=A0separate=A0drive. Certainly not any cheaper though.=A0</div>

--0016367b6b360a44ee047ea09834--