No subject

Tue Nov 17 13:52:17 UTC 2009

gleaned that the EDID contains information about whether or not the
HDMI port on the television supports audio or not.

I don't know how much this will help, but as some ideas for things to
look for (as given by somebody who doesn't really know what he's
talking about)...

1) Are you sure the HDMI port on your TV supports audio?  On my Vizio
TV, I have 3 HDMI ports.  One of them is associated with a pair of L &
R analog input audio RCA jacks.  I would guess (but don't know how to
verify) that if I looked at the EDID when plugged into that port, it
would say that digital audio is not supported.

2) Are you sure that the HDMI port on your TV is correctly reporting
that it supports audio?  Again, I don't know where to look nor what to
look for to verify this, but perhaps others on this list can point you
in the right direction.

3) Finally, I'll say this because it was ultimately the thing that
took the longest for me to figure out when I tried to get HDMI to work
(via my Radeon chipset).  I did the aplay -l thing and saw that HDMI
audio was supported on card 1, device 3, but every time I tried
changing one of the configuration items, I always dutifully followed
whatever random web page I was looking at and tried stuff like
hwplug0,3 (or whatever it's called).  I finally noticed that the card
parameter was "0" where I was supposed to be plugging in a "1".  Moral
of the story: it helps if you already know what you're doing when
you're trying to figure out what you're doing.  (There's a chicken and
the egg problem here, so the real moral might be to pay very careful
attention to exactly what the parameters mean when you try changing X
to Y.)

This probably doesn't help much, but it's all I've got.

--wpd