[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Mon Nov 30 23:29:38 UTC 2009

>Thanks all.
>
>It might be possible to work around the park issue by polling hddtemp or smartctl every 8 secs.
>
>Would that be enough to keep it from parking without causing a seek, and cost as little system overhead as possible?
>
>I don'r really feel like invalidating the warranty by using the deprecated dos utility.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Marius

I recently bought a WD 1.5TG GP disk for use in a software RAID 1 (just bought one to start off with, and then planned to buy the second when I'd got the RAID up and running.

Performance-wise as a standalone drive this seems pretty good - comparable to (or better than) my 300GB and 320GB 7200RPM Seagate PATA drives. However, these drives do not support linux RAID. I spent a week troubleshooting huge iowait times and the corresponding high load, including trying the WD utilities (note that WDTLER doesn't work on recent firmware.)

Fortunately the vendor has agreed to swap it for a Seagate. So much for my foray into trying another drive manufacturer.

Cheers,

Jon