[mythtv-users] Recording Schedules using EIT data

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 20:08:20 UTC 2009

2009/11/30 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/30 Glenn Sommer <glemsom at gmail.com>:
>> I'm trying to get Recording Schedules working with my EPG (Fetched over EIT).
>> I suspect the problem to be that mythtv cannot correctly identify
>> series or episodes.. But I'm not quite sure about this.
>>
>> An example from my database:
>>
>> |   1210 | 2009-12-01 20:00:00 | 2009-12-01 21:00:00 | NCIS (1) |
>>    | Amerikansk krimiserie N.C.I.S.
>>
>> When I try to setup a recording, I click on the show "NCIS (1)" - and
>> select always record on any channel... But mythtv ONLY finds programs
>> named exactly "NCIS (1)" - which is not what I want.
>
> This is how normal recording schedules work - based on the title
> provided in the listings data. You could use a title search instead to
> broaden the search to include all titles that include "NCIS".

Ok, I kinda suspected that.
Sadly, using a custom search - on for example ^NCIS% isn't really that
wife-friendly :/

>> I would prefer to use EPG over EIT - as the programdata seems to be
>> more uptodate.... Is there a way around this?
>
> Where are you getting your listings from now?
>
> If you are already using EIT, the programme data that MythTV gets will
> be the same that a commercial PVR would be using. Perhaps the EIT data
> needs some fixups applied within MythTV if this is a consistent
> problem across many programme titles?

I'm currently using EIT as my only source.
For some reason, my provider tends to push some shows a bit around -
and the epg from eit is updates quite fast. So I prefer eit over
importing a xml file.

A snip from dvbsnoop: ( dvbsnoop -s sec -nph  -n 10000  0x12 )
DVB-DescriptorTag: 77 (0x4d)  [= short_event_descriptor]
            descriptor_length: 14 (0x0e)
              ISO639_2_language_code:  dan
            event_name_length: 9 (0x09)
            event_name: "NCIS (38)"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet
            text_length: 0 (0x00)
            text_char: ""

            DVB-DescriptorTag: 78 (0x4e)  [= extended_event_descriptor]
            descriptor_length: 253 (0xfd)
            descriptor_number: 0 (0x00)
            last_descriptor_number: 1 (0x01)
            ISO639_2_language_code:  dan
            length_of_items: 0 (0x00)

            text_length: 247 (0xf7)
            text: "Amerikansk krimiserie<BR>N.C.I.S. - en forkortelse
for Naval Criminal Investigative Service - er en actionfyldt
dramaserie, inspireret af successerien " Interne Aff<E6>rer". Serien
handler om en gruppe specialagenter, heriblandt Leroy Gibbs, en
intelli"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet no. 5

So, clearly my provider sends the title as "NCIS (38)" in this case :/
I've tried looking at eithelper.cpp -  where I would expect the fixup
to be... Sadly my programming skills are not up for the task here.This
is a bit too much for me. :/