[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:46:25 UTC 2009

> Johnny don't you have the same motherboard? The ASUS M3N78-EM? Do you
> not see the video distortion across the top the some of the playback?
> I'm not able to find the option to turn on Overscan - I only see
> Overscan compensation in the Nvidia-settings utility.

I do have that board but I actually have a 8400GS card in it because I
needed s-video or component out for my SD CRT. Overscan is not
something you turn on. The TV set is what does the overscan. The
nvidia setting is called overscan compensation because it is designed
to compensate for TVs that are overscanning the image. That is why it
only scales down and it doesn't have an option to scale it larger.
With one of my machines a few years ago I remember I had the problem
of seeing the noise in the first few lines at the top of the screen
and I just used the screen wizard in mythtv to scale the image a
little bit and that handled it fine. Some people would argue against
this but I didn't see any noticeable loss in image quality from the
scaling. Maybe that is because it was already getting rescaled
somewhere along the line because of my display resolution etc.