[mythtv-users] Keeping frontend running?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 30 17:32:29 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 11:29 AM, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnnyjboss at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Sadly no - in Mythbuntu when you ext mythfrontend you are left on the
>     xfce desktop.
>

> Can anyone suggest a script or something we can use to get that behavior
> though? That would be nice. I also ran into a similiar issue yesterday.
> The frontend refused to start because the time was off compared to the
> server. I can certainly see why they should match, but can't the
> frontend app just update the time? Even if it's just a one time thing, I
> don't think we need to build NTP into Myth, but a quick time update to
> match the server shouldn't be a big deal. I do have NTP installed, but
> it does take some time to get synced up. It would also be nice if it
> would show an error message rather than crashing out. A user shouldn't
> need to go find the logfile to know why the frontend app didn't load.
>
> For the time case, I suppose I could add a call to ntpdate if the FE
> dies before dropping back to gdm if I had a script that would do that.

If you don't have it installed, get rdate

then rename your mythfrontend binary (say mythfrontend.next) and create
this script as mythfrontend

#!/bin/bash
rdate -p -s utcnist.colorado.edu
mythfrontend.next

Substitute another ntp source as desired.
Then you only need run a time check program on the server. (Note that
this is not guaranteed to give the FE *exactly* the same time as the BE
unless they use the same time-source...And I have NO idea how close the
BE and FE have to be synchronized in order to not trigger an
error...buried in the code somewhere???)

The other choice is to change the foregoing script to something like:

service ntpdate start
sleep 10
service ntpdate stop
mythfrontend.next

This depends upon how long your particular setup takes for ntpdate to
actually update the time on the FE. AND you do need to have ntpdate
installed on the FE. AND startup is delayed by the 'sleep' interval.

Geoff