[mythtv-users] Keeping frontend running?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 30 16:29:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sadly no - in Mythbuntu when you ext mythfrontend you are left on the
> xfce desktop.

Can anyone suggest a script or something we can use to get that behavior
though? That would be nice. I also ran into a similiar issue yesterday. The
frontend refused to start because the time was off compared to the server. I
can certainly see why they should match, but can't the frontend app just
update the time? Even if it's just a one time thing, I don't think we need
to build NTP into Myth, but a quick time update to match the server
shouldn't be a big deal. I do have NTP installed, but it does take some time
to get synced up. It would also be nice if it would show an error message
rather than crashing out. A user shouldn't need to go find the logfile to
know why the frontend app didn't load.

For the time case, I suppose I could add a call to ntpdate if the FE dies
before dropping back to gdm if I had a script that would do that.