[mythtv-users] vdpau and the star-studded screen of death

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:24:58 UTC 2009

I haven't seen any discussion on a problem that I have been observing since
changing to the vdpau renderer.  Since I installed an HD-PVR for my cable
company's STB, I've been forced to use vdpau with my GeForce 9500 GT (1Gb
RAM). 90% of the time it works great; however, after some amount of (unknown
but > 8 hours of recording viewing) time I begin to see some tearing and
stuttering during playback of a recording.  This seems to be a prelude to
what I call the star-studded screen of death.  When these symptoms develop,
once I end the playback, the screen goes black with a sprinkling of white
dots in a random pattern.  Once this happens, I haven't found any way back
except to re-boot.  I have tried restarting X (gdm) and unloading and
reloading the nvidia driver module with no success of resetting the video.
If no one else is seeing this, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a
hardware failure of some sort.  The board is a fairly new MSI PCIe x16
board.  The only clue is having recently started using vdpau.  Anyone have
an idea of what to try next?

I am running Ubuntu 7.04 and MythTV trunk v22864 and nvidia driver 190.42.

-- Ken E.